They even link to IE5.5 suggesting that this will be a “Customer Upgrade”. Yes I could get a new card and sell it but now it’s the principle. Hunting for their Head Office phone number……..
Some time later……
I had to ring the generic phone number and hassle for Customer Services. This is what I told the guy who answered:
- that I had tried to return the fault Network Card yesterday but was told I needed a box so that the faulty item could be returned to the manufacturers
- that I called the helpline yesterday and was eventually assured that I could return the card to the original store and that as a Goodwill gesture, they would let me off having no box
- finding myself on the opposite side of the city this morning but close to a PC World, I went in and enquired if I could return an item I purchased elsewhere. The girl said I could. I showed her the card and the receipt. I explained the situation. She repeated the “No box, no go” mantra. I insisted, pointed out the phone number on the receipt. She wandered off to talk to someone, returning only to say again the PC World Company Mantra – “No box, no go”. I pointed out the telephone number on the receipt – she dismissed that as a “Branch number – doesn’t mean anything”. (I was livid at her attitude)
- I rang the helpline again. And AGAIN was told the box rule. I asked for the call to be escalated and that person also said “No box, no go”. I explained that there was something called a “law” which gave me lots of rights and that this stupid box thing could not overrule a “law”. Amazingly, she repeated the mantra.
- I rang Netgear. I explained what was going on and asked if they care about boxes. He said No. I was really clear about what PC World staff were telling me (remember this is 2 shop staff and at least 4 people on the phone) about the way Netgear insisted on faulty products coming back in their original box and the guy who worked at Netgear said that was false – they really do not care. Now I KNOW that PC World staff are lying.
- So I’ve rung Muppets Inc back and insist my call is escalated straight away. I get through to “Customer Services” (neat that when you call the only number you have it is not this dept) and I’m back in the present.
I say “Why do your staff lie to customers ?” I explain the situation fully. The guy I’m talking to says that it’s probably just a mistake by the staff. I insist that it is much more than a mistake given 6 staff in different locations have trotted out the same lie. He is insistent – and he was really decent on the phone – that there is no need for a box. He agreed that everything that had happened so far was unacceptable and that he would note this for the Area Manager.
Outcome: I send the card back to him, I get a refund+costs.
PC World – bunch of lying f*cking muppets. There is some nasty rip-off corporate culture going on in there