19:03 Sat 1 Sep 2007

To av or not av

Filed under: Programs,Security,Tech — 19:03 Sat 1 Sep 07

Do I install av software on the reinstalled machine?

– viruses are bad
– its expected that you do

– malware is much worse
– av eats more resources than it ‘gives back’ in results
– safe practice is most of the battle against virii anyway

So right now I’m veering to No.
I do have spybot installed and hijackthis available. Clamwin is a purely on-demand solution which sounds okay but I have yet to dig around for reviews and comparisons.

Got av?

1. I run avast! and I like it enough. I suppose you are right though… if you take enough preventive measures that’s most of the battle right there. avast! only uses a little over meg in resources as far as I can tell, and it is free for personal use. It doesn’t feel nearly as bulky and bloated as McAfee or Norton to me, so I will continue to use it.

Comment by Heather — 19:54 Sat 1 Sep 2007 @ 19:54 Sat 1 Sep 07

2. I don’t have any anti-spyware or anti-malware on my Macs or PC.

I’m just veeeeeery areful where I browse to (esp. on PC!)

Comment by Tom Raftery — 22:03 Sat 1 Sep 2007 @ 22:03 Sat 1 Sep 07

3. I run AVG, Ad-Watch, SpyBot and Windows Defender with my Windows Firewall switched on. I go where I want and when I want and by keeping all those up to date and running regularly I’ve managed to avoid any significant problems in the last 6 years or so of online activity…..touch wood ;)

Comment by dino — 23:36 Sat 1 Sep 2007 @ 23:36 Sat 1 Sep 07

4. I’m an esset Nod32 man, but yeah. Install virusware.

– –
    Okay,
    Father Luke

Comment by Father Luke — 04:20 Sun 2 Sep 2007 @ 04:20 Sun 2 Sep 07

5. AVG free and a hardware firewall in my router here. Nothing else.

Comment by arrison — 08:16 Sun 2 Sep 2007 @ 08:16 Sun 2 Sep 07

6. I’ve gone the same way as you Steve – avg.
    Same situation with the hardware firewall.

I still think a virus is nothing compared to the malware that can get in – that’s why I use Hijackthis. It also lets me see if anything has hooked into the startup items

Comment by Mark — 19:36 Sun 2 Sep 2007 @ 19:36 Sun 2 Sep 07

7. Good call. I’ve watched to many peopple cry and helped too many people try to recover their machine after a virus not to have av installed on Windows.

Comment by Lloyd Budd — 21:45 Fri 7 Sep 2007 @ 21:45 Fri 7 Sep 07