22:51 Tue 20 Dec 2005

Oranges and Christmas

Filed under: Family Life — 22:51 Tue 20 Dec 05

Hands up if you got an orange in your ‘Christmas stocking’ when you were a kid.
Hands up if you ever ate it.
Hands up if you had the slightest clue why parents did it.
Go stand in the corner if you still do it as a parent.

1. this is a test.

Comment by Cameron aka desk003 — 04:31 Wed 21 Dec 2005 @ 04:31 Wed 21 Dec 05

2. Does it work ?

Comment by Mark — 10:32 Wed 21 Dec 2005 @ 10:32 Wed 21 Dec 05

3. Whee! it works!

Comment by Cameron aka desk003 — 11:37 Wed 21 Dec 2005 @ 11:37 Wed 21 Dec 05

4. My grandparents still do that for us grandchildren and we’re all grown now. I still eat it. If I recall correctly, I read something once (or maybe saw it on TV) that many, many years ago when most families couldn’t afford much for Christmas, pretty much all kids got for gifts were their stockings – stuffed with fresh fruit and one of those giant peppermint sticks. Interesting though.

Comment by Justin Moore — 15:44 Wed 21 Dec 2005 @ 15:44 Wed 21 Dec 05

5. I occasional got an orange but then I often wondered why as I have never, ever eaten them. So maybe a stocking filler. Never ever done that to our kids, ever!

Comment by joss — 16:33 Wed 21 Dec 2005 @ 16:33 Wed 21 Dec 05

6. My grandmother told me that when she was a kid, the only orange she would get to eat all year would come in the toe of the Christmas stocking. It was considered an exotic and expensive treat.

I was just thinking of this two days ago actually. It simply occurred to me that we are rather fortunate to enjoy such a wide variety of rich foods that are so readily available to us.

Comment by danithew — 21:27 Wed 21 Dec 2005 @ 21:27 Wed 21 Dec 05