20:51 Tue 29 Nov 2005

Matt. London. WordPress. 9 December.

Filed under: WordPress — 20:51 Tue 29 Nov 05

A week on Friday Matt will be wandering around London. Where shall we tell him to bump into us ?
In the initial post, there were two definite suggestions:

Westi:
Fancyapint is a good site for finding places to meet. One of my favorites is The George Inn, Borough which has loads of outside meeting space and good drinks

Gregory:
How about anywhere in Brick Lane?
It’s a short walk from Liverpool Street, lots of places to eat. Great for a curry, not expensive (well.. as expensive as you want it to be).

Where ? When ? Who will be there / is hoping to be there ?

1. im up for anywhere thats accesable for the tube, but need to be going home before the trains stop running at about 12:00 .Or i need a lift back into bromley. Might see if i can get a mate to come hes got a car.

Comment by Mumbles — 20:57 Tue 29 Nov 2005 @ 20:57 Tue 29 Nov 05

2. Not Bricklane, I was down there last week. I say we all go down to Covent Garden, there’s loads of pubs and bars down there and then we move on, access to anywhere in the city from there. Bricklane is a bit limited.

Comment by khaled — 21:01 Tue 29 Nov 2005 @ 21:01 Tue 29 Nov 05

3. I – and I guess others coming from outside London – don’t mind. We just need a Tube station and a bar/coffee place near that station ? Give a time span and take it from there ?

Comment by Mark — 21:17 Tue 29 Nov 2005 @ 21:17 Tue 29 Nov 05

4. Brick Lane is only limited if you stay in one part of it. Its damn long!

Plus its REALLY easy access, and there are lots of other places to move to/from in that area. The new complex nearby at Spitalfields Market is top notch (and good eats there too).

Basically I’m just suggesting that whole area – there is so much to choose from.

Comment by Gregory — 22:07 Tue 29 Nov 2005 @ 22:07 Tue 29 Nov 05

5. Erm no, I wouldn’t say the hammersmith and city line and the circle line are easy access. It’s in and around the ‘city’ area which effectively means there’s sweet f-all around that area, I’m voting CG.

Comment by khaled — 06:05 Wed 30 Nov 2005 @ 06:05 Wed 30 Nov 05

6. I definitely will be there. I’ve booked a day off work to travel down on Friday afternoon.

I know next to nothing about London, so I have no recommendations for venue. Nor do I have any preferences.

As I am travelling from Manchester, I am looking to stay overnight if I can find somewhere cheap enough. Does anyone have any recommendations? Just a bed for the night, nothing fancy required.

Comment by Mike Little — 12:28 Wed 30 Nov 2005 @ 12:28 Wed 30 Nov 05

7. You don’t think that the Circle line Hammersmith & City Line, Central, etc (ie.. Liverpool Street, one of the most major stations in London, have anything near them?

Wow… you know nothing about London nightlife do you? ;)

Anywhere in the “city” means reeeeally easy access – both tube and bus – if you move a little west of the city you have Soho and the tourist trap hell of the west end. Further out west and north there are some nice places, but they have less acess and there are less of them. The city is used to 10,000 20-30something bankers/traders/etc decending on it when they are bored.

Anyhow, wherever ends up the final location I would recomend that it is within the Circle line, an ideally near the Central line. Getting to any of those lines is easy, and most people comming in from out of London will have no problem (Victoria, Paddington, Kings-Cross, and Liverpool St are all on the Circle, and the Central runs right through the Circle).

Mike – Cheap accomodation can be found in Earls Court, really cheap (£10 at a shitty hostel), if you don’t mind sharing. Really depends on your budget though, you can find a nice B&B closer into the center for less than £40, just google search for “London B&B” or similar.

Comment by Gregory — 13:46 Wed 30 Nov 2005 @ 13:46 Wed 30 Nov 05

8. Greg, why go to Bricklane which is close to SOHO, when we can be IN soho. I’m thinking past 12:30. The bus system in and around that area is rubbish and you know it. The circle line is the village line and the hammersmith and city line comes around once a friggin year. I was there last week, which is why I can tell you these things conclusively :).

I vote Soho. Greg seems keen on Bricklane. What does everyone else think?

Comment by khaled — 19:20 Wed 30 Nov 2005 @ 19:20 Wed 30 Nov 05

9. I say pick a place:
    pick a “from” time:
    midday ? 3pm ?
    and then exchange a few mobile numbers by email :)

Comment by Mark — 19:31 Wed 30 Nov 2005 @ 19:31 Wed 30 Nov 05

10. Gregory thanks, for the tip. I was also pointed at http://www.laterooms.co.uk/ which seems to have a good list.

Comment by Mike Little — 23:16 Wed 30 Nov 2005 @ 23:16 Wed 30 Nov 05

11. Booked my ticket. I land at Victoria around 10am and have to be back there by 19:20 to get back.

Comment by Mark — 23:54 Wed 30 Nov 2005 @ 23:54 Wed 30 Nov 05

12. I worked at the other end of the Hammersmith & City, I know what you mean. Still you are only dealing with 1 every 10mins tops ;)

As for Soho – its crap, crowded, overpriced, and awful food. That’s why I’d avoid it. Unless you are looking for bars/nightclubs, then it makes sense.

That’s why I suggested Brick Lane – its pretty central, but good food, and if we move on its easy to move to good clubs/pubs (like the ones in Soho). Its not so much that I’m keen on Brick Lane as very against Soho – as for a meal its just a plain bad idea. Especially as Mark has to go before most of the decent places open in Soho (well.. 7pmish). Other than that your looking at the little tourist nibble places.

Mark – 19:20? Owch. No late nights for you ;)

Comment by Gregory — 11:12 Thu 1 Dec 2005 @ 11:12 Thu 1 Dec 05

13. My last 2 trains to get back home are at 23:53 and 00:35 so i have to be back in victoia by then.

Im up for meating the early people though. Perhaps show matt round the toristy bits.

Comment by Mumbles — 23:55 Mon 5 Dec 2005 @ 23:55 Mon 5 Dec 05

14. I’ve got my tickets now! :-)

I’ll be arriving at Euston around 12:45 I think. I’m not staying over, so my train back is 22:00 from Euston.

I’m looking forward to meeting you guys.

Comment by Mike Little — 00:01 Tue 6 Dec 2005 @ 00:01 Tue 6 Dec 05