10:44 Sun 24 Jul 2005

Mac Owners and a Brick

Filed under: Inane — 10:44 Sun 24 Jul 05

Which is the most likely to happen:

1. A brick sprouting legs and walking ?
  2. A Mac owner to admit that Apple could be even the slightest tiniest bit wrong in anything they have ever done or ever will do ?

(The answer is the odd number)

It gets a bit bloody tedious when Mac owners try and lord it all over Windows users (at least Linux users are too busy bickering among themselves about which variant is better and how hardcore they are because it took 6 months to compile their custom code). Why is it that some Mac owners just completely fail to see that Apple has it’s failings ? What do you lot do – admit it only to each other and keep the united front to diss all MS products ? Why is it that MS could produce a quality product yet you Mac dweebs would leap all over it ? If MS had created an ‘iTunes’ of their own, you’d all be screaming about how badly it performed, how it was exclusionary, how it didn’t play by so many rules – all of which are completely true for the Mac product yet you lot fall at the feet of Jobs and continue to praise everything he does ? What’s up with you lot ? Did you get shown a photo of Jobs when you were babies ?

1. Crap.

You’ve read all the commentary as people fainted at the switch to Intel and how a lot of people thought it was a very, very bad idea? Or how Spotlight and Dashboard in Tiger is just not good enough? Or how mail.app in Tiger is also a little dodgy (when will it stop forgetting my passwords … I’m moving back to Entourage)? Or how about the grumbling that .mac accounts just aren’t worth it anymore?

iTunes isn’t exclusionary. I can pull any track out of the libray and play it on anything else. The only problem would be for Audible audio books. There is DRM on purchased music but this is because the record companies demanded it and Apple wouldn’t have had the catalogue to release through it’s music stores if they didn’t implement it. I assume you’re still on a Podcast rant. Well Apple have a right to control their directory. But you don’t have to go there. Try podcastalley for one. I seem to remember that winamp are going to implement podcast integration as well. Don’t blame Apple if the producers of the podcast you want to listen to only want to distribute it through the Apple route.

Bashing all Mac owners is pointless. It’s like me tarring all Windows users as clueless conduits for zombies and spam. But that’s not the case so I don’t say that.

Instead of having a rant, use the lazyweb. Say what you want, say what problem you have and ask if anybody has any suggestions.

Comment by gpshewan — 11:55 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 11:55 Sun 24 Jul 05

2. “It’s like me tarring all Windows users as clueless conduits for zombies and spam. But that’s not the case so I don’t say that.”

but many many many people do.

Comment by Mark — 12:27 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 12:27 Sun 24 Jul 05

3. You’re hanging out at the wrong places then :) You’re always gonna get flamers, trolls and zealots no matter what OS or software you’re talking about. But you don’t have to join them.

Comment by gpshewan — 13:02 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 13:02 Sun 24 Jul 05

4. But I’m allowed to vent.
    As a satisfied user of Windows who knows more about what’s going on inside my machine that your average Mac user, I get mightily pissed at the constant sniping and assumptions that simply because I am a Windows user that I also have scabs on my knuckles.

Comment by Mark — 15:21 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 15:21 Sun 24 Jul 05

5. Brick Sprouts Legs and Walks, Brickmason Hospitalized in Shock

I guess he was a Windows user.

Comment by Bonnie — 18:37 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 18:37 Sun 24 Jul 05

6. But seriously, when we Mac users are only, what, 5% of the PC market, you can’t be hearing that much about Macs Ruling and Windows Drooling, can you?

Exactly! And, take a moment to think about how many comments that I have to hear about about “Mac users are assholes,” “Macs suck,” and “Mac user never admit that they’re wrong.” That’s right, I have to hear that a whole lot more than you do, Mark. These comments get thrown around like rice at a wedding, as if no one cares what is said. Well, I have news for you. Out that 5% market share Mac users fill, not all of us are assholes, not all of us suck, and not all of us never admit that we’re wrong. I hear this kind of crap from PC users day-in and day-out. And, no, not all PC users are assholes like that. I am, however, disappointed to see you following in their footsteps.

Comment by MacManX — 19:57 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 19:57 Sun 24 Jul 05

7. Go MacManX and Bonnie! Hit it right on the mark. Even though I don’t use a mac yet (I’m saving), when I discuss them I still get flamed. I have come up with a very simple reason why mac users get flamed. Wanna know what it is? Okay. They want a mac. They love macs. They secretly look at the apple web site and masturbate to the PowerMac G5’s seductive lines. Yep, Thats my answer.

Comment by Cameron aka desk003 — 22:20 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:20 Sun 24 Jul 05

8. oh, and Mark, this may have been asked and answered I do not know, but why do you have ads on your site now?

Comment by Cameron aka desk003 — 22:21 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:21 Sun 24 Jul 05

9. Do I want a Mac ? No.

Do I have to justify what I write ? Also no.

Do I take kindly to personal attacks ? Oddly enough, no.

(Those 3 lines above are what is known as a ‘shotgun’ approach. Decide for yourself if you were hit).

And the ads ? Simple – adsense was accumulating no money compared to page impressions and I would like the site to pay for it’s upkeep. The vast majority of the visit to the domain and for WP help and that’s fine. But it doesn’t pay the hosting bills and the donate button is not used. The placement … might play with that at some point.

Comment by Mark — 22:33 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:33 Sun 24 Jul 05

10. Oh.. and yes I know the hosting bills are not expensive, but hey, I’m allowed ads :) (Unless someone pays me NOT to have them)

Comment by Mark — 22:34 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:34 Sun 24 Jul 05

11. Mark: If you took that as a personal attack I am sorry, it was not one. I agree you are allowed ads. Personally though, no matter how badly I need money, I would never put ads on my site. I hate them and block them with Firefox/AdBlock every time I see one. It’s your site though.

Comment by Cameron aka desk003 — 22:36 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:36 Sun 24 Jul 05

12. Cameron – Nooooo…not you :) And hey .. I’m on IM and you aren’t ? :p

I would prefer no ads, but my online habit has to self-fund. No cash, no play !

Comment by Mark — 22:39 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:39 Sun 24 Jul 05

13. heh. I am. And so are you. We both are away as well. :-P

Comment by Cameron aka desk003 — 22:40 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:40 Sun 24 Jul 05

14. BTW, I’ve never heard you mention what kind of work you do, if you work at all? I’ve been wondering this for awhile… Just never got around to asking it.

Comment by Cameron aka desk003 — 22:41 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:41 Sun 24 Jul 05

15. I don’t.

It’s complicated but in the end, I’m my wife’s carer. It’s very complicated actually .. she has MS and when she’s in relapse I do everything. When she’s not in relapse I do everything except what she wants to do. Bah … this makes no sense. But do I have a paying job ? No. The state chuck me a few quid to look after J, kids, house etc.

Comment by Mark — 22:44 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:44 Sun 24 Jul 05

16. Wow, that sucks.

Comment by Cameron aka desk003 — 22:48 Sun 24 Jul 2005 @ 22:48 Sun 24 Jul 05

17. The worst fans are dumb fans. The worst kind of people are extremists. The saddest way to judge all Mac users is by saying they’re all wrong.

Sorry, Mark, but sometimes, y’know… ;)

I wholly admit that there are flaws, but what you’re doing is wrong too. I know there’s a word for it, but I forgot it, but it basically sums up that a debating adversary can make it look like all of your arguments are bull because one isn’t fully true. It’s wrong to do that, in debating and in ranting.

Comment by Rob Mientjes — 01:15 Mon 25 Jul 2005 @ 01:15 Mon 25 Jul 05

18. Rob – true, but then the first person to comment who has never ever posted some thing that is wrong out of frustration and anger can be the only one to have a pop back (which I note you are not doing :) )

It’s my blog and I’ll yell if I want to :)

Comment by Mark — 08:23 Mon 25 Jul 2005 @ 08:23 Mon 25 Jul 05

19. By the way …. count the number of Windows users yelling at me for being so wrong.

Comment by Mark — 08:34 Mon 25 Jul 2005 @ 08:34 Mon 25 Jul 05

20. Thank god I have a job doing what I love, but it sucks when your PC/Windows using colleagues take *every* opportunity to belittle *me* for what I do (and I do it well).

Mark, I am forced to go on my Windows training in less than a month, if I enjoy it and want to switch, you’ll be the first to know. :)

Comment by Claire — 09:09 Mon 25 Jul 2005 @ 09:09 Mon 25 Jul 05

21. Claire, don’t switch to the dark side! :razz:

Comment by Cameron aka desk003 — 09:59 Mon 25 Jul 2005 @ 09:59 Mon 25 Jul 05

22. “count the number of Windows users yelling at me for being so wrong.”

How many Windows users did you blanket insult?

It’s your blog, so write what you want. But with open comments people have a right to reply. Everybody has bad moods and rants … but I still don’t see the point of this one beyond “Mac users suck … so there!” … I can’t really spot the intelligent arguement cum debate in that.

Comment by gpshewan — 12:37 Mon 25 Jul 2005 @ 12:37 Mon 25 Jul 05