01:14 Fri 6 May 2005

Tagging pt2

Filed under: Programs — 01:14 Fri 6 May 05

40gig of music. Some tagged in the order I want, some tagged badly, some not tagged, all from a variety of sources. I’m told that Musicbrainz will do the job, and I’m also pointed at The Godfather. Maybe I can’t read …….
Musicbrainz I stopped at halfway through as it could not recognise around 65% of the music. I let TG do what it wanted and apart from leaving odd gaps, it did not remove wrong tags. So … looks like I’m doing it all manually and it also looks like there is no single utility that you can use to address the tagging issue. Strange that given the explosion in mp3 players – not everyone can be downloading from iTunes.
And before someone says that MB needs help and maybe it was obscure stuff – it was not, it was mainstream music. If it was wierd stuff that would be fine. Question is ….. election results are coming in all night so can I be arsed to sit and get it all done ?

1. I find Tag&Rename to be the best tagging tool in the world.

Comment by Basil Crow — 04:02 Fri 6 May 2005 @ 04:02 Fri 6 May 05

2. Arrrghhh ……. I forgot about that one.
    I shall go try !

Comment by Mark — 14:10 Fri 6 May 2005 @ 14:10 Fri 6 May 05

3. Reminds me of a trick I played on my son when he was at high school. I was waiting for him on one of his birthdays with about 5o balloons and handing out icecreams to all the other kids. Each balloon had a special birthday message and a photo of him as well. i even gave them all his phone number to ring him and say hello.

He did eventually talk to me again…

He got me back though. I had a van and on my birthday he planted a huge message on the back which I failed to see as I got in. It basically said something along the lines of…’I’m a hunk and it’s my birthday – blow me a kiss!’

I finally became a bit suspicious when these two dudes on Harleys sat each side of me as I was driving down an open stretch in Australia, The blew me kisses and shouted out Happy Birthday MOTHERF$CKER!

I killed my son:)

Comment by Shadow — 18:06 Fri 6 May 2005 @ 18:06 Fri 6 May 05

4. Oops sorry Mark. Wrong post. I give up! I am not having a good day:(

Comment by Shadow — 18:09 Fri 6 May 2005 @ 18:09 Fri 6 May 05

5. I had that problem with iTunes too.

I just did it while bored or between stuff over several weekends. Its still not perfect, but its much better. Eventually I’ll add album art to them all too.

My main gripe is that iTunes names files [Track#] [Title].mp3, but I want [Track#] [Artist] – [Title].mp3

Doesn’t seem much I can do about that though…

Comment by Gregory Wild-Smith — 00:09 Mon 9 May 2005 @ 00:09 Mon 9 May 05

6. frankly they’re all rubbish and none do exactly as they say on the tin. Tag & Rename I do like, looks like a dogs dinner, but it’s what underneath that counts. Still, let’s say you have 40gbs, let’s say only 30% have tags, it’s not going to automate it for you. There’s nothing clever out there to do the job for you. It’s a headache, I just wish Mp3 players were a bit smarter and read the title and added that as the id automatically – when will the tag not match the title?

Comment by sekhu — 21:27 Tue 10 May 2005 @ 21:27 Tue 10 May 05

7. Hi Carol – thanks for the pointer. For now I’m using Mp3Tag as it’s freeware and so far, very good !

Comment by Mark — 10:19 Sat 14 Jan 2006 @ 10:19 Sat 14 Jan 06

8. Two comments.
    Two links.
    Hmmm……see the words in red ?
    Links de-linked.

Comment by Mark — 17:40 Sat 14 Jan 2006 @ 17:40 Sat 14 Jan 06

9. You ARE spamming.

“Don’t worry about this incident.”
    Implies you were worried, sought advice…. and the other stuff ?

This is spam.
    The following sequence of letters above will now be edited and removed from the above: t a g t u n e r

Comment by Mark — 23:43 Sat 14 Jan 2006 @ 23:43 Sat 14 Jan 06

10. Maybe so.

Your IP: 217.168.69.193
    The additional info: ip203-69.baltnet.ru

The company you are trying so hard to promote is pretty close geographically.

My blog. My rules.
    And if I am mistaken, so be it.

Comment thread edited