09:20 Sun 3 Apr 2005

Spare Time

Filed under: Chatter — 09:20 Sun 3 Apr 05

This has come about because of the ridiculous furore surrounding WP. Certain threads in the forums, certain comments here and some private email has slammed myself and Craig for moderating posts and closing threads. Fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but so are we.
In the end, it comes down to this:
WordPress is free, I am not.
I choose to give my time and knowledge and I have a cost I expect to be met. That cost involves people being polite, using manners, showing respect to myself and others and when questioning, doing so in a constructive manner. In the last few days that has been shot to hell – so why exactly should I stay ? There’s not a single person in the forums who I owe anything to, no-one. There are many people who have axes to grind with WP (though I have no idea why, it’s not like you have some T&C’s to point at is it ?) -but that does not involve me okay ? Pay for it / Not pay for it – you still are not buying my services when you use the forums.
Still, all those that have insulted myself and Craig can now fill the gap eh ?

This is not a post asking for pleas to return – please don’t comment to that effect.
I’m fed up of anonymous posts and emails, so ALL anonymous comments will be deleted on sight.

As is usual, if you have a lot of work you want doing, or work that needs doing fast, contact me by email. tamba2 at gmail dot com

1. Wheee! I just posted a question and it’s been over ten minutes on the forums and nobody has answered! When should I start complaining? :p

Oh, and you owe me lunch! Hehe!
    Cheers, mate!

Comment by craig — 09:29 Sun 3 Apr 2005 @ 09:29 Sun 3 Apr 05

2. Half the problem is that the bulk of people just don’t seem to understand how these things work.

On a much lower scale I’m a forum admin for HaloScan. HaloScan is developed by one person yet the forums are full of people asking why they don’t get an answer and that “the guys” are taking the piss.

However, for every one of them there are two people that have contacted me to thank me for taking the time to help them with their problems.

Sounds like that balance is missing for you at the moment and that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Comment by Gordon — 11:01 Sun 3 Apr 2005 @ 11:01 Sun 3 Apr 05

3. As usual I missed the whole thing, but am sorry to hear people have their heads lodged so far up their asses. Don’t they know they’re gonna get stuff on their hair like that?

Anyway, you deserve a million times better, and I’m disgusted (to say the least) that these people are in some sense leaving you to pay for their skewed sense of reality. At least as far as the psychological consequences of coming into contact with the lodged-head people.

I appreciate you, for whatever that’s worth, and respect the choices you’re making in response to this drivel.

Comment by pig — 12:56 Sun 3 Apr 2005 @ 12:56 Sun 3 Apr 05

4. :love:
    You know you are appreciated by most. We luff you Markie, plain and simple :)

Comment by Jennifer — 15:01 Sun 3 Apr 2005 @ 15:01 Sun 3 Apr 05

5. It’s a shame that a vocal minority have managed to cause some much disruption. As much as I’d hate to see what the forums will degenerate into, I cannot fault your decision to pull out. Life’s really too short to be wasted.

The forums will be a poorer place without you guys but I wish you both the best.

Comment by If Else — 16:05 Sun 3 Apr 2005 @ 16:05 Sun 3 Apr 05

6. […] forums April 3rd 2005 Filed to WordPress, Social, Discussion by Phu Sadly, Mark and Nuclearmoose, moderators extraordinaire have both announced that they’ […]

Pingback by A sad day for the WP support forums - If..Else Log — 16:14 Sun 3 Apr 2005 @ 16:14 Sun 3 Apr 05

7. […] ly not? shame on you, whomever you may be nuclear moose candy and Mark are leaving the WP forums due to a vocal few. [via] […]

Pingback by somefoolwitha.com » shame on you, whomever you may be — 21:51 Sun 3 Apr 2005 @ 21:51 Sun 3 Apr 05

8. I’m sorry that you had a negative experience, and you will certainly be missed! I also wanted to thank you very much for the kindness you showed when you helped me with a very, very, very :blush: silly WP problem once. It was very much appreciated! Thanks from at least one grateful person :)

Comment by eve — 02:19 Mon 4 Apr 2005 @ 02:19 Mon 4 Apr 05

9. While I do adore both you Markie and Moosie too, I must voice (in a constructive, loving way) that I am very disappointed in your decision to break away from the support forums.

The main reason for this is, I feel that you have let a few sour apples ruin it for us all. The majority of the forums support you and Moosie and your actions. We all have names for you and they don’t have anything to do with Nazis (example: Markie and Moosie :) ).

Of course I am not in your shoes, nor will I ever be because of my lack of skills, but I have an idea of what you are going through. Personal attack suck. But remember, opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got one.

I joined the WordPress community back in December. I joined because the software was great. I continue to be part of the community because of people like you and Moosie. People that really care about you and your problems. I never expected to make friends with people who use the same software I do, but wow, I have. It breaks my heart that someone will join in the next few weeks and not get the experience I had when I first joined.

I hope you two can take a little time to cool down and realized that you really are loved, wanted and needed around here and come back and help the ones who love you!

Comment by Jennifer — 05:50 Mon 4 Apr 2005 @ 05:50 Mon 4 Apr 05

10. Blogroll Dive: 4/4/05

Here are the highlights from today’s Blogroll dive:

Bryan fixes his problem with updating links.
    Owen has a few pointers on how to protect yourself from identity theft.
    Michael meets WordPress’ lead developer, Matt Mullenweg.
    John seeks a partn…

Trackback by MacManX.com — 08:18 Mon 4 Apr 2005 @ 08:18 Mon 4 Apr 05

11. […] esponds to an issue which quickly got out of hand. Sarah finishes reconstructing her site. Mark also takes a break from WordPress support. And, Meng designs a really cool comme […]

Pingback by MacManX.com » Blogroll Dive: 4/4/05 — 08:23 Mon 4 Apr 2005 @ 08:23 Mon 4 Apr 05

12. Jenn and others:
    It’s getting more complex.

I know now of something which happened in the WP world which disgusts me (NOT related to Matt) and that alone would be enough to move me away from the forum. I hope to be able to publish something about it later.

I have ideas for wp.org which if they were adopted would bring me back, but those changes are out of my hands.

Do not forget that myself and Craig have given of our time for well over a year now and yet we are being singled out as targets. I HAD to leave the forums because I had been made the cause of the problem – note how certain fuckwits have stopped posting ? That is to the benefit of WP that the signal rises and the noise declines.
    It’s also times like this when you realise how clever / stupid / genuine certain people are. At least one person who I thought could tell the difference between a comment and an attack has been dropped from my list of reads.

I AM still here to help people with WP – though I am unsure about #wordpress – but for as long as the forums exist in their current form, you will not be seeing “Mark” post there ;)

Comment by Mark — 10:51 Mon 4 Apr 2005 @ 10:51 Mon 4 Apr 05

13. It is a shame that a few bad apples can cause this, but such is the way of the world. I see it happening across the net all the time, it’s something that anyone who has ever done any voluntary work will completely understand.

Mark you’ve given a lot of your time admirably with the sole purpose of helping others. Many of us are extremely grateful for that. Though I do understand there comes a point where things such as these take over, and it’s at that point you have to draw the line.

I hope you enjoy having a little more well deserved spare time. :)

Comment by Zenith — 12:31 Mon 4 Apr 2005 @ 12:31 Mon 4 Apr 05

14. Whenever I borked my site and howled into cyberspace you always answered. I am very very grateful for that. And I’m sorry that a few idiots have spoiled things on the WP forums. I think the WP experience will be poorer for it.

Oh, and am very intrigued by the whiff of scandal. ..!

Comment by petite — 21:30 Mon 4 Apr 2005 @ 21:30 Mon 4 Apr 05

15. Mark,
    I remember back when there were about a few of us answering support questions what seemed like non-stop. I remember you and Craig from that group. I took a very long time away from the forums and recently with 1.5 I’ve tried to get back there and help out as much as I can. I know the frustrations that go through attempting to answer the same questions over and over again. Not on your level of course, but I know how hard it is. I commend you for putting up for it this long and for doing such a great job along the way. Hopefully your (and Craig’s) time away will be short. There are many people out are grateful for the help you guys provide. Don’t let the assholes out there get to you.

Comment by Nick — 00:53 Tue 5 Apr 2005 @ 00:53 Tue 5 Apr 05

16. Never doubt that the vocal annoyance of a few would be drowned overwhelmingly by the quiet appreciation of many thousands. Greatest respect to (and moose both); your contribution as it stands is already immeasurable, even from my beginner’s perspective here on the sidelines. I’m more of a quiet reader and observer than an active participant in the forums, but I’ve never questioned your path there; I hope your move goes well and you enjoy the extra time.
    Solidarity~

Comment by michaelm — 01:11 Tue 5 Apr 2005 @ 01:11 Tue 5 Apr 05

17. For random users, such as myself, who search the forums when they have problems or questions. You are a hero. Enjoy your regained time.:cool:

Comment by tariq — 05:05 Thu 7 Apr 2005 @ 05:05 Thu 7 Apr 05