01:08 Wed 23 Mar 2005

Google steals.

Filed under: Google,Vociferate — 01:08 Wed 23 Mar 05

It’s not people that “power Blogger”, it’s Google.
Go look at the permissions page and all the details you must abide by just to use an image of theirs. Yet when the Blogger servers (provided by Google) host code and images that belong to me, Google is not bothered. Indeed, they try to get away from any sort of blame – look at the email below.
They create a service which can be used by anyone for anything, yet absolve themselves of all responsibility. Why can they do this ? Why ?

And my stating that they steal ? Well Google does.
Create an image on your blog, and just watch as Googlebot comes in and copies it to numerous caches around the world. Does it ask ? No. Are you warned of this anywhere ? No. Can you ask that it be removed ? yes, but you have no guarantee of action. Their warning that an image might be subject to copyright ….. isn’t that a bit like taking something from somewhere and fencing it ? “Ask no questions get told no lies ?”

I know what I can do to protect my site – that is NOT the issue.
The issue is that I asked Google to shut down a site which is hosted by them, powered by them, subject to terms and conditions written by them and which is stealing my bandwidth, stealing my content, stealing my code, stealing my copyrighted material and they are refusing to do so, and trying to say that it is MY fault for having a site in the first place. So how is it that I am in the wrong ?

The full text of any letter I recieve about that logo up top will be published here – unless of course they remove the blog which I detailed in my entry the other day. Petty ? possibly, but is my request really so bad ?

1. Best. Header. Ever.

And I hate the Googlebot, crawling my site caching whatever it wants. Hrmph.

Comment by Cyndy — 05:17 Wed 23 Mar 2005 @ 05:17 Wed 23 Mar 05

2. Thanks Cyndy :) I wonder when they will notice ….

And if any talented people would like to create a better graphic (771 x 195px) then I would love to use it !

Comment by Mark — 08:50 Wed 23 Mar 2005 @ 08:50 Wed 23 Mar 05

3. I don’t mind the Googlebot to be honest, but stealing? Chop off their hands!!!!

I’m far too busy at work to attempt a graphic for you … so do you want the same words used?

Comment by Gordon — 10:05 Wed 23 Mar 2005 @ 10:05 Wed 23 Mar 05

4. Psstt – what’s yer email addy so I can send you my glorious work of art!!

Comment by Gordon — 10:52 Wed 23 Mar 2005 @ 10:52 Wed 23 Mar 05

5. Gordon – tamba2 at gmail dot com :) Thanks !

Comment by Mark — 11:37 Wed 23 Mar 2005 @ 11:37 Wed 23 Mar 05

6. Go Mark! :)

Comment by Zenith — 13:56 Wed 23 Mar 2005 @ 13:56 Wed 23 Mar 05

7. Google sux. But your head graphic is awesome. I am going to put it on my blog in minima.

Comment by Root — 17:53 Wed 23 Mar 2005 @ 17:53 Wed 23 Mar 05

8. Looks like he removed your content. Perhaps with a little help from Google? Or perhaps he grew a conscience overnight? Nah!

Comment by Joni — 17:21 Sun 27 Mar 2005 @ 17:21 Sun 27 Mar 05

9. […] ays ago I had a pop at Google because they were permitting someone to steal my content ? ( Google steals ) and I then followed that up by banning Google from all areas of my […]

Pingback by What makes you happy ? » More on Google — 23:38 Sun 27 Mar 2005 @ 23:38 Sun 27 Mar 05

10. […] Mark heeft een probleempje met een Blogger die zijn CSS, zijn lay-out, zijn afbeeldingen en zijn bandbreedte steelt. Mark’ poging om Google(tm) te verplichten deze website te bannen, leverden echter geen resultaat. En nu is Mark echt “pissed off“. Gelijk heeft ie! […]

Pingback by 7 seconden » Blog Archive » Mark vs Google(tm) — 18:44 Mon 29 Aug 2005 @ 18:44 Mon 29 Aug 05

11. […] Google Steals […]

Pingback by All Narfed Up » Blog Archive » Dump everything Google? — 01:56 Mon 3 Oct 2005 @ 01:56 Mon 3 Oct 05

12. […] http://www.romanticrobot.net/archives/2005/03/23/google-steals/ http://www.romanticrobot.net/archives/2005/03/27/more-on-google/ http://www.romanticrobot.net/archives/2005/04/24/google-screws/ Posted: 2005-05-06 21:48:13 # […]

Pingback by disallow in robots.txt? « WordPress Support — 05:56 Tue 15 Nov 2005 @ 05:56 Tue 15 Nov 05

13. you can put information in you metatag. so that google won’t crawl it.

Or just make a robots.txt and tell the google bot what he can’t crawl

Comment by robots.txt — 18:57 Tue 15 Jan 2008 @ 18:57 Tue 15 Jan 08