20:30 Fri 17 Dec 2004

Polishing my frontend

Filed under: T2 — 20:30 Fri 17 Dec 04

I have finally decided – in my mind and with the aid of some very brief css coding inside my machine – how I am going to change this layout.
What you see now is essentially still Gemini, and although it’s a good workhorse – a workhorse I’m merely sending to the beach for a frolic in the surf – it’s time for a change. I’ve pondered, played and with the advent of both Persian and Manji as Themes, I have made up my mind. I’ve not looked at all at the Persian code, and only very briefly at some of Manji, but what I have in mind is similar in base. I can’t be doing with making a Theme (as that implies what I will make will be found appealing by someone else, and that just cannot happen) so I’ll mess with the proper files. The css bit is easy, the breaking and remaking of any wp files isn’t hard – it’s the damn graphics which will stump me, and if I can get a php script I want – or ask someone to write it if I can’t find it in the usual places (which I probably can), I’ll be needing a few graphic files. Me + The Gimp ? Scary …. lots of swearing I suspect.
Anyway, nag me about it. After a week anyway.

Oh yes. The Gimp. Open Gimp from dock, no problem. Open Gimp from right-click on an image, crash. Hmm… And Linux – how do you play games ? Surely you need Windows for games ? Or do Linux people just grok, grep and create amusing commandline acronyms all day quite happily ? :) Asking because I have games, but unless I stay dual-boot, I can’t play them can I ?

8 Comments

1. Don’t forget to yell for a hand – that’s what friends are for…. :)

Comment by Shadow — 20:47 Fri 17 Dec 2004 @ 20:47 Fri 17 Dec 04

2. there’s a number of games ported to linux, like quake etc… quite a few freeware games, and there’s always WINE, the windows emulator that has good results on some games…

Most ‘nix users are too geeky for games tho, except text based ones!

Comment by AJ — 21:23 Fri 17 Dec 2004 @ 21:23 Fri 17 Dec 04

3. Shadow – I was swearing within 1 minute of opening Gimp :)

AJ – thought so …. I shall read up more on WINE !

Comment by Mark — 21:29 Fri 17 Dec 2004 @ 21:29 Fri 17 Dec 04

4. I can sympathise, I’m pretty useless with graphics too.

Where games in Linux are concerned – none of those I play work in Linux as far as I know (MMORPG’s mostly) so I have to stay dual boot too. Otherwise I’d be tempted to get rid of windows completely.

Comment by Zenith — 00:11 Sat 18 Dec 2004 @ 00:11 Sat 18 Dec 04

5. You should peek at some of the cool stuff Liron does with Gimp running on Linux. I don’t know much about either, but she (like you) is a blogger I’m continually impressed with. I’m still using on photoshop + windows myself, but will attempt Linux one day, once I figure out where to start.

Comment by michaelm — 06:10 Sat 18 Dec 2004 @ 06:10 Sat 18 Dec 04

6. Get a Mac. ;)

Comment by Heather Anne — 10:01 Sat 18 Dec 2004 @ 10:01 Sat 18 Dec 04

7. There is a special superscription-based version of WINE tailored especially for games. It’s called WineX.

As for basic games i.e card, board, puzzle a few action games then a normal Linux distro will come with a zillion of these as optional installs. Frozen Bubble rulez! :wink:

And yes, Quake, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament etc have been ported to Linux.

Personally I keep a small Windows partition so my dad can play Championship Manager. That probably works using WINE but I just haven’t got round to it yet.

Comment by cjp — 11:17 Sat 18 Dec 2004 @ 11:17 Sat 18 Dec 04

8. There are lots of interesting games for Linux, just not all of them are in 3D. I find some of them interesting enough to spend a few hours on.
    Good luck.

Comment by Carthik — 15:09 Sat 18 Dec 2004 @ 15:09 Sat 18 Dec 04

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.