11:47 Tue 1 Jun 2004

Advice…

Filed under: Pondering,Tech — 11:47 Tue 1 Jun 04

I’ve got a good chunk of my HD sitting empty, so it’s time to put it to good use, and seeing as J is highly unlikely to let me get another full machine, I’m pondering Linux.

Requirements:
1 – Must be able to sort any partitions / installation all on it’s own
2 – Must be relatively newbie-to-linux friendly
3 – Errr… I don’t know enough for a 3rd issue :???:

So, is SUSE the way forward ? Gentoo ? RedHat ?

(If it all really annoys me, I can delete it !)

7 Comments

1. I’ve tried older versions of Red Hat, and Mandrake 9.2; the installations are pretty much on par with the various versions of Windows in terms of their complexity, i.e. pretty straightforward point and click stuff. Both of them provide graphical partitioning utilities and will install a standard partitioning scheme in the free HD space if that’s your thing.

I don’t mean to be patronising here, but you do realise that by free space I mean space that isn’t allocated to any partition, not free space on a Windows partition? If it’s the latter case, you may need a program such as Partition Magic to shrink the existing partition. I’ve heard that the Mandrake installer can shrink an existing NTFS partition but I’ve never tried it.

I’d give Gentoo a miss unless you’re particularly masochistic, as the installation doesn’t do *anything* on its own, and just drops you at a command prompt to do everything manually. Definitely not newbie friendly! :) I gave up after a couple of days; I’m sure I could have managed the rest of the installation if I’d tried, but I just couldn’t be arsed, and didn’t really see any advantage to it.

Comment by paleblue — 16:52 Tue 1 Jun 2004 @ 16:52 Tue 1 Jun 04

2. I forgot to mention, have a peek at http://www.distrowatch.com for information on every Linux distro under the sun.

Comment by paleblue — 17:01 Tue 1 Jun 2004 @ 17:01 Tue 1 Jun 04

3. This Linux busines is complex isn’t it …. and all I want to do is play with it :)

I hadn’t realised that about the free space – thanks for that.

Part of me says go dual-boot, but that has risks of screwing my system completely if the MBR gets b0rked, so the other part says get another HD and use that to be totally safe.

I do need some sort of GUI too. I’m not stupid about this stuff, and I’m fairly okay with some command line stuff – hence Caitlin’s advice to get another HD (I don’t know if I can fit one in my box right now).

My SUSE Live-eval iso download died and won’t resume, so I’ll grab that tonight and see what’s what. Knoppix doesn’t support my network card, and even though I’ve got all the drivers I could possibly need, I’ve yet to play and try that.

And thanks for the link below too :)

Comment by Mark — 17:11 Tue 1 Jun 2004 @ 17:11 Tue 1 Jun 04

4. Be careful on dual boot. They are fine but certain variants of Windows handle them inconsistently. I use Suse and I love it. If you haven’t upgraded in a while you will be blown away by the new GUIs like KDE 3 etc. They make macs look shabby. Also my linux doesnt seem to do flat monitors. No doubt its fixable. What are you waiting for.:idea:

Comment by Root — 21:41 Tue 1 Jun 2004 @ 21:41 Tue 1 Jun 04

5. Dual boot is the last solution to be honest – far too much can go wrong in such a tiny space !

If the SUSE iso does the trick, I’ll look harder at it, and maybe even an external HDD ?

And I’d love a flat screen, but right now, no cash for that.

Comment by Mark — 21:58 Tue 1 Jun 2004 @ 21:58 Tue 1 Jun 04

6. I’ve used a newish version of KDE before, and to be honest, I wasn’t hugely impressed. It’s pretty professional looking, and consistent, which is a good thing, but I found its performance pretty poor and I don’t actually like the menu system that much. Ever used xfce before? It’s small, fast and looks good :)

Comment by paleblue — 22:08 Tue 1 Jun 2004 @ 22:08 Tue 1 Jun 04

7. and subversive to the corporate dominance of computer technology. I plan on installing it on a partition of my hard drive, leaving room to keep Windows functional until the day that I might be able to switch over completely. Update: I read onMark’ blog that creating a partitioned hard drive (aka dual-boot right?) can be risky, so I’m no longer certain of the partitioning plan. I’m currently researching the various distributions available, some of which are free downloads, others packaged and

Pingback by HELIOLITH » Blog Archive » Which flavor of Linux for me? — 17:53 Sat 4 Mar 2006 @ 17:53 Sat 4 Mar 06

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.